Dec 11, 2022

Sam Bankman-Fried: "I wasn't spending any time or effort trying to manage risk"

George Stephanopoulos: How do you explain the failure?  Was it inattention, arrogance?

Sam Bankman-Fried: It's a good question.

Stephanopoulos: Was it unethical?

SBF: Some part of it was just literal distraction.  I really should have spent some time each day taking a step back and saying, "what are the most important things here?"  Right?  And how do I have oversight of those and make sure that I'm not losing track of those.  And frankly, I did a pretty incomplete job at that.  I spent a lot less time looking at assets and looking at balances and positions because that's not where revenue came from.  And so I wasn't seeing as a core business driver obviously was a core risk, and that was a huge mistake of mine to not think more about that.

Stephanopoulos: And you said one of your great talents in a podcast was to manage risk!

SBF: That's right.

Stephanopoulos: That's obviously wrong.

SBF: Well, I think that there is something maybe even deeper wrong there which was I wasn't even trying.  I wasn't spending any time or effort trying to manage risk on FTX.

Stephanopoulos: That's a stunning admission.

SBF: I don't know what to say.  What happened, happened.  If I had been spending an hour a day thinking about risk management on FTX, I don't think that would've happened.  I think I stopped working as hard for a bit.  Honestly, if I look back on myself, I think I got a little cocky... I mean more than a little bit.  And I think part of me felt like we'd made it.

~ Sam Bankman-Fried, interview with George Stephanopoulos, Good Morning America, 8:10 mark, December 1, 2022





No comments: