Jun 17, 2021

After the GameStop short squeeze, Andrew Ross Sorkin asks Ken Griffin if the markets are "fair"

Sorkin: Let me ask you a maybe more meta question about all of this, which is, do you believe that the markets unto themselves are completely fair and when I, when I say fair, do you believe that my mother has the same opportunity to make money in the market, as you do?

Griffin: It all comes down to a matter of horizon and strategy.  It’s like asking if I went and play golf this weekend with Tiger Woods, would I win.  Of course not.  But there are various ways to compete with Tiger Woods off a golf course and do very well.  I’m not gonna play him on his game, on his course.  Your grandmother might be very aware of a change in technology or otherwise that will impact our economy.  She might look at the car you drive five years and go, hmm, Andrew bought a Tesla.  And I think EVs (electric vehicles) are the future of America and I’m going to buy Tesla stock.  And if she bought Tesla stock five years ago, she would have made a lot more money than we made at Citadel.  So, I never underestimate the skill of the American retail investor at understanding emerging trends, where real wealth is created and their ability to take advantage of that wealth transformation.




No comments: