Mar 25, 2024

Tom Woods on his stingray experience

When I open my eyes in the morning I'm usually looking at a wall that contains (I just counted) 60 small pictures, each of which depicts a happy memory from the past five years or so.  

Last week was rather exhausting for me, so I'm relaxing in bed before heading for the gym in a little while, and one of those pictures caught my eye.  It shows my wife and me in the ocean at a stingray experience in the Bahamas.  I went primarily for her sake, but the experience was enjoyable enough. 

At one point everyone was given a chance to touch a stingray.  I politely declined.  Then the kind of thing I can never understand happened: The event organizer, along with the other attendees, started insisting I do it, thinking that maybe I was frightened or nervous.  Nope, just don't want to.  I have no idea what difference what I do makes to anyone else there, but man did they want me to.  They insisted again.  Again, I politely declined.  I did not make a spectacle of myself, I wasn't a drama queen about it, nothing.  I simply declined. 

For some reason this episode left my wife very impressed.  She couldn't believe I had simply stood my ground.  From then on, whenever there's been pressure on me from any group at all to do something I prefer not to do, she recalls the episode with the stingray.  Sometimes people hear about an incident like this and wonder if I'm just a contrarian by nature -- particularly given my views on politics and many other subjects.  But I'm not.  

However, doing the opposite of what's expected of me has generally served me well.

~ Tom Woods, March 25, 2024



No comments: