May 11, 2008

Robert Rubin on the credit crunch: "I don’t know of anyone who foresaw a perfect storm"

Rubin: People know I was concerned about the markets. Clearly, there were things wrong. But I don’t know of anyone who foresaw a perfect storm, and that’s what we’ve had here.

I don’t feel responsible, in light of the facts as I knew them in my role.

Q: But did he make mistakes?

Rubin: I’ve thought a lot about that. I honestly don’t know. In hindsight, there are a lot of things we’d do differently. But in the context of the facts as I knew them and my role, I’m inclined to think probably not.

There is no way you would know what was going on with a risk book unless you’re directly involved with the trading arena. We had highly experienced, highly qualified people running the operation.

~ Robert Rubin, "Where was the Wise Man," NY Times, April 27, 2008

No comments: