May 14, 2010

Jim Cramer flip-flops on his Dow 9,000 price target, embraces change

This morning several people asked me if my Dow 9,000 price target was still on because I did hint about that last week and the answer is: no.

See, remember what I said, I said, we could go back there if Trichet, the head of the European Central Bank, continued to do nothing to solve the euro's problems and the disaster that is Greece. But that's not what happened. I said I was negative because Trichet had left the building, remember I had said he had left the building-- he came back in Friday night! Dragged by other countries' ministers, particularly France and Germany.

He and his fellow European finance ministers did something, and not just anything. They did amazing things this weekend along with the EU and in coordination with our Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Geithner, they understand these problems we're facing better than any other people in the world. And you know Ben Bernanke is the best central banker in the world, I said that on Friday.

Now, when that European contagion risk is taken off the table, what am I supposed to do, just stay negative? I can't! When a plan that basically delivers all the things I was calling for and crying for on Thursday and Friday comes along, I can't fight it and say, "Uh uh, nope, it's not what I want, gotta stay negative, uh uh!" I can't. The plan was exactly what I wanted.

In the words of the late, great economist and investor, maybe the best of both, John Maynard Keynes, who would have absolutely approved of Europe's solution, and I quote, "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

~Jim Cramer, "Embracing Change", Mad Money, May 10th, 2010

No comments: