Nov 4, 2007

Teddy Roosevelt on executive power

Whenever I could establish a precedent for strength in the executive, as I did for instance as regards external affairs in the case of sending the fleet around the world, taking Panama, settling affairs of Santo Domingo and Cuba; or as I did in internal affairs in settling the anthracite coal strike, in keeping order in Nevada this year when the Federation of Miners threatened anarchy, or as I have done in bringing the big corporations to book - why, in all these cases I have felt not merely that my action was right in itself, but that in showing the strength of, or in giving strength to, the executive, I was establishing a precedent of value.

~ President Theodore Roosevelt, as quoted in Reassessing the Presidency: The Rise of the Executive State and the Decline of Freedom, p. 361, John V. Denson, editor

Image result for denson reassessing the presidency

No comments: