To get the ball rolling, here are five practical principles for starting a conversation when you don't know what to say.
- Flattery will get you everywhere. Make with the compliments to begin on a positive note.
- Props. Women work hard choosing their accessories, and anyone who notices wins points.
- Redirection. People love to share their enthusiasm for their hobbies.
- Ask more than yes/no questions. Think like a reporter: Ask who, what, when, where and why.
- Listen, really listen, to the other person.
~ Marcy Barack, "Secrets of Great Conversation," MSN Dating & Personals, November 18, 2007